History of Aligarh Muslim University
The Aligarh Muslim University came into existence with the efforts of the great social reformer and politician Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan. After the independence movement of 1857, he realized that Muslims in India are required to get education and participate in government services and public life. Raja Jai Kishan assisted Sir Sayyid in establishing the university.
In 1842, there was considerable outrage among the Muslims of the subcontinent over the decision to change government employment and the use of Persian as the language of the court. Sir Sayyid realized that if the people of the Muslim community want to maintain social and political existence, especially in northern India, they will have to master English language and modern science.
He started schools in Ghazipur (1863) and Moradabad (1858) and laid the foundation stone for the construction of Muslim University. The establishment of the ‘Scientific Society’ in Aligarh in 1864 was aimed at translating Western works into Indian languages as a prelude to inculcating scientific sentiments among Muslims and preparing the community to adopt Western education.
After visiting Oxford and Cambridge Universities during his visit to England in 1877, he intended to establish the Mohammedan Anglo Oriental College in Aligarh like his, without compromising Islamic values.
Sir Syed’s son, Syed Mahmud, an alumnus of Cambridge, on his return from England in 1872, presented the proposal of an independent university to the “Muhammad Anglo-Oriental College Fund Committee”. This proposal was accepted and later revised. Sayyid Mahmud continued to work with his father in building the college.
It was one of the first fully residential educational institutions established by the government or public in India. For years, this institution gave a new educated class to Indian Muslims, who were active in the political system of the British Raj.
Read More: Main Features of Harsha’s Administration
In 1901, when Viceroy of India Lord Curzon visited the school, he praised the work being done here and described it as “sovereign importance”. Initially, the school was affiliated to the University of Calcutta and later in 1885 was affiliated to the University of Allahabad. By the turn of the century, the school had started publishing its own magazine called ‘The Algerian’ and established the school of law.
The college was originally affiliated with the University of Calcutta and later in 1885 with the University of Allahabad. Near the turn of the century, the college began publishing its own magazine, The Allegarian, and established a law school.
This was around the time when the movement started making it a university. To achieve this goal, the school was expanded and more courses were added to the school’s curriculum. In 1907, a school for girls was established. By 1920, the school was transformed into ‘Aligarh Muslim University’.
Sir Syed died on 27 March 1898 and was buried in the mosque of Sir Syed Hall of Aligarh Muslim University.